Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Weekend Work Before and Afters

Matt's parents came into town this weekend and we had a great time. Matt's parents are expert painters so they helped us paint a lot! We were able to get a lot done and we had a ton of fun doing it. I learned a ton so now I think I want to repaint cheap furniture and make it look nice. I am surprised at how much stuff we got done. Here are some before and after shots of all our hard work. Thanks Kirk and Gail for all your hard work on our house!

Project # 1- I bought this desk on craigslist for $30 and its a very solid wood desk, but they had put a cheesy brown sticker finish on the top kinda like those old folding tables. I think they did it to make it easy to wipe off. I knew when I bought it I was going to redo it for my craft room. So Matt's mom helped me to spray paint it and stencil the flowers on. This project was my favorite and I love how it turned out.

Before

After


Project # 2- We went to Big Lots to grab some planting pots for the front of our house and we came across a King sized headboard. It was on clearance for $75 and Big Lots doesn't even sell king sized headboards so it was luck I guess. It was a really ugly brown, but we thought we could paint it and it would look great. Then we just primed and painted it black and now it looks like we spent $600 which is what most headboards cost when Matt and I were looking. Now we need a comforter so I can match the lamp shades! Any suggestions?

Before- I forgot to take a picture before we fixed it. Even though this project was the best transformation of them all. Oh well.

After



Project # 3- This project has a funny story with it. We decided to change the light fixture in our room so that we could have a fan in the master bedroom. Matt and I went and got the fan, but little did we know that it would be such a nightmare. Everything that could go wrong with the fan did. When we were putting together the fan the screws dropped in, the wires came undone after we hung it, etc. I wish I could have recorded it because I'm sure we looked hilarious trying to hang the fan. We ended up having to hang the fan 3 times because we couldn't get it to work. Right when we had given up hope we figured out that we had accidentally tripped the breaker which is why we couldn't get the fan to work. You can't help but laugh. I'm just glad it works and now we enjoy a nice breeze while we sleep. Maybe someday we will get the courage to install another one in the guest room. It might take a while to forget the trauma.

Before

After


Project # 4- We thought we would paint our back porch. It's not very big, but we wanted to weather proof it. We also painted the garage stair white, but I won't show you pictures of that.

Before


After



Project # 5- Our final project was just making the outside of our house look lived in. We tided up the weeds in the front and the back. We also planted these cute planters in the front.

3 comments:

The Bowyer Family said...

looks like you kept them working the whole time!! my mom loves doing stuff like that, I bet she was having the time of her life!

Bowdens said...

Look at all your projects! What a fun and busy weekend! Your desk turned out so cute.

Grant said...

Awesome home improvement projects. How fun! I love stuff like that. It looks like you guys are doing some great things to the house. That's awesome.