Saturday, January 23, 2010

Skiing at Brighton


We had been getting tons of snow in the last week, and we were really excited to go skiing. Then we read in the weather report that it was going to snow 12-18 inches on Saturday, and we got a little depressed because we didn't think my little Corolla could handle it. I didn't want to give up hope so I woke up early and read the ski report, and Brighton had gotten 28" of snow overnight, but by some miracle the crews were able to clear the roads and there were no travel restrictions.

I checked the weather, and there was only supposed to be a few inches in the rest of the day, so we went for it...and it was AMAZING. Brighton has gotten over 6 FEET of snow in the last few days, which made for some of the most amazing skiing conditions I've ever been in.

On our drive up, we were a little nervous, because it was still snowing a bit. Then we drove past Solitude (maybe 2 miles from Brighton), and the lot was full, and we thought "Crap, we drove all this way and we're probably just going to have to head home".

We pulled into the lot, and we didn't have to drive very far because we were literally one of the last 8 or 10 cars that got a spot, if we had gotten there even 2 minutes later, we would have had to head back.

We started by going to a few of our favorite runs, it was non-stop powder. I'm not kidding when I say I was knee deep most of the day. We got a little cold after a few hours, and decided to eat some lunch.

We were amazed at how fast the lift lines were, we never waited more than 2 or 3 minutes (a miracle considering Brighton's lot was completely full).

When we were done eating, we accidently got on the bunny lift (Majestic), which is actually a pretty decent sized run...and man were we glad we did. We went exploring in some different areas and found some entire runs that were absolutely untouched with waste deep powder (and in some spots CHEST deep). Those were definitely the best runs of the day.

It started to snow a little harder, and so we made one last run to end the day so we didn't get stranded. Of course, I had to eat it on that run. I thought I had plenty of speed, but got slowed down in chest deep snow...my ski's stopped and my body kept going. Rachel told me it looked like the snow exploded when I fell.

I don't think we could have asked for a better ski day, absolutely perfect conditions with some of the best, deepest snow I've ever been in.

We left Brighton at just a shade before 2, and pulled into our garage at 2:36. I can't believe we live just over a half an hour from some of the best skiing in the world. Sometimes we get a little bugged about some of the negatives in Utah (which we won't go into now), but this is one of the reasons why we like it here.

If I've made you jealous, don't be, just come and visit and have a little ski trip with us. We'd love it!

6 comments:

Bowdens said...

What a fun ski trip! I am a bit jealous!

Jill said...

Yes, I am jealous. That sounds really fun. We need to come visit... do you know any babysitters :)

leslie said...

I think the Utah travel industry is sending you a giant muffin basket! What great fun descriptions Matt.
love
MOM

Grant said...

J...E...A...L...O...U...S!!!

Jenna Burningham, OTR/L said...

Fun...Maybe a little dangerous for me the OT girl..But maybe someday. Glad you had fun

Paul said...

We need to plan a trip to come ski!!!