Thursday, February 25, 2010

First Car Accident


Living in Utah we knew it was only a matter of time before we got in a car accident. Drivers in Utah are just terrible! Matt and I are both really safe drivers and have NEVER gotten a ticket or been in a car accident. Well today at 3:30 pm this changed. We were on the way to spend time with my little sister in Provo when we got into an accident in the Corolla. We were driving on university parkway and the car in front of us slammed on his breaks. We had to slam on our breaks too and the motorcyclist behind us wasn't paying attention and rammed into us. When I looked behind us I couldn't see anything so I wasn't sure what happened, but Matt freaked out because he knew that it was motorcyclist behind us. He jumped out of the car and made sure the guy was ok. Thank goodness the guy was wearing a helmet and tons of layers of clothing so he wasn't harmed at all. I'm so glad he wasn't hurt! I quickly called 911 and had the cops come. We straightened everything out and we are ok, but it sort of rattled us a bit. Our car isn't too damaged, but it got some scrapes.

On a brighter note I made it through the toughest school month of my life! It was not easy and it involved 2 straight in a row all-nighters and lack of fun weekends for me. Can I just brag that I have to coolest husband in the world? He stayed up with me till 4 in the morning one night to help me edit one of my presentations to get it in on time. I don't know who's more relieved that I'm done me or Matt. Now we can catch up on our sleep. I don't start again till March 4th!

Here is a funny story that Matt experienced (in his own words):

I love skiing and I try to go once a week even if I have to go by myself. I was at Snowbird (by myself), and decided that I should try some nice steep moguls to start the day. I was doing well, but hockey stopped to catch my breath. My ski's came apart as I was stopping and I heard something that sounded a lot like ripping. I looked down and didn't see a problem, so I didn't think much about it. I continued skiing for another 4-5 hours. I was dead tired by the end of the day, so I packed up all my gear and hopped in the car. I looked down to put my keys in the ignition and noticed something that was a little off. The seam in my pants was split....it wasn't just a little split either, my pants were practically wide open, just look at the picture:



In that moment I thought about the day and was wondering when/how it happened. I remembered it felt a bit breezy most of the day, and then it hit me....I realized I had split my pants on the very first run, and didn't notice it the entire day. I had been up the lifts at least 15 times, and not one person said a word to me. I wonder what the people behind me thought? I wonder what the parents that had their kids on the lift with me thought? I wonder what the people that I chatted with in the parking lot thought? The funny thing was as I thought about it, I was kinda glad I didn't notice that I had split my pants so bad...otherwise I would have probably went home. Instead I got to enjoy a great (but breezy) day in the mountains.

1 comment:

Grant said...

Wow, that sucks about the car accident. I'm glad that motorcyclist was okay though. And funny story about the pants. Haha, nice and breezy :)