Lately at work there has been nothing to do so I've been devouring books while I'm waiting for students to come in. This week I ran out of books to read and in a frenzy to get into work on time I quickly grabbed a book Matt had on our book shelf. It's called a Return from Tomorrow by George G. Ritchie. It's a true story about how he died from a pneumonia and nine minutes later, miraculously and unaccountably, he returns to life to tell of his amazing near-death experience in the afterlife. I have never read books like these and I don't know if their stories are true, but I found it interesting. It was also a good reminder for me about the true purpose of life. Sometimes I get caught up in getting things done and tend to worry about mundane things. This book helped remind me that we are here on Earth to serve others and become more like our Savior not to get a good job or make an A on that Accounting test. I think if we keep that perspective in life it would make things a whole lot easier and would help us use the little time we have here on Earth wisely.
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Good Reminder
Lately at work there has been nothing to do so I've been devouring books while I'm waiting for students to come in. This week I ran out of books to read and in a frenzy to get into work on time I quickly grabbed a book Matt had on our book shelf. It's called a Return from Tomorrow by George G. Ritchie. It's a true story about how he died from a pneumonia and nine minutes later, miraculously and unaccountably, he returns to life to tell of his amazing near-death experience in the afterlife. I have never read books like these and I don't know if their stories are true, but I found it interesting. It was also a good reminder for me about the true purpose of life. Sometimes I get caught up in getting things done and tend to worry about mundane things. This book helped remind me that we are here on Earth to serve others and become more like our Savior not to get a good job or make an A on that Accounting test. I think if we keep that perspective in life it would make things a whole lot easier and would help us use the little time we have here on Earth wisely.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good post--I agree. It's good to keep a perspective on things. Lately we have been trying to live in the moment more and enjoy the small and simple pleasures of life. Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in getting things done you forget to appreciate what is going on right now.
I'll have to read that book. I've heard of it and I love when you pick up a book to read and it turns out to be a really great one!
On another note, your sweet and sour chicken looks delicious! Would you mind emailing me the recipe? Kirk loves sweet and sour and I've never been able to find a yummy recipe! Thanks!
Post a Comment